Knee spins can be executed with a feminine or masculine energy, making them a universally loved move.
And while they may look tricky to execute, they’re surprisingly simple!
Wanna learn this move step-by-step with a FREE tutorial on STEEZY Studio?
Hit the button to take our class (no CC required). Having an instructor break it down on camera really helps!
If you’re more of a reader, keep scrolling and follow along with the steps below!
HOW TO DO KNEE SPINS:
- Start on your knees with your booty resting comfortably on your heels.
- Now, lift your booty up off of your heels and bring your left foot out to the side so your knee is bent at a 90 degree angle.
- Next, shift your weight ever so slightly forward towards your left leg so you can push off the leg with more power. From there, push off of the left foot and drop your left knee back to the floor while lifting both arms up. Practice this “knee drop and arms up” motion a few times.
- Now for the big spin! This time, do your knee drop/arms up motion but allows your left knee and foot to hover off of the ground so that when you push off the left leg, your entire body can spin on your right knee that's still planted on the floor. Keep in mind that you should be turning toward your right shoulder, not your left!
- To finish the spin, allow your left knee to drop back down to the floor, then pick up your right knee and put it out to the side so your ending position looks like your starting position (just with the opposite knee out).
- Repeat the spin at half tempo and then work your way up to full tempo.
One tip: practice spotting a stationary object in front of you as your body is turning. You'll want to find the front of the room with your gaze before your body completes the turn! This will help you keep your balance.
Now go ahead, and spin!