Learning advanced choreography as a beginner dancer can be challenging, but with the right approach and mindset, you can make it happen! Steezy’s video player was actually designed to help you learn at your own pace! Here are ten tips to help you learn cool choreography as a beginner using STEEZY Studio:
- Break down the choreography: Break down the choreography into smaller parts. This can help you to learn the choreography more easily and avoid feeling overwhelmed. For example, move 8 count by 8 count. Once you feel confident with the first 8 count, move on to the next! Pro-tip, use Steezy’s looping feature to continuously repeat the part you are working on ✨
- Slow the class down: Adjust the speed of the class (using our speed feature)! You can slow the class down to help you see the movements better and give you extra time to pick it up.
- Watch the class choreo multiple times: Watch the choreography being performed by the instructor or their assistants. This can help you to get a better understanding of the movements, the vibe, and how they are executing the choreo. Remember, you don’t have to look like them! But it can be helpful to really get into their vibe when learning.
- Record yourself or use a mirror: Something doesn’t feel quite right? Try filming yourself and watching the video, or practice in the mirror! Pro-tip, use the camera feature to see yourself dancing next to the instructor!
- Keep moving forward: If a section of the choreography becomes too difficult, skip over to the next section! There is no shame in moving forward. Master the parts that you are comfortable with and revisit the harder sections at a later time.
- Don’t forget about the basics: When taking a more advanced class, don’t be scared to check back in with the foundational dance moves for the specific dance style you want to learn. Our moves classes are a great starting point for this!
- Repeat, repeat, repeat: Repeat the choreography as often as you need to until you feel confident and comfortable with the moves.
- Be patient: Remember that learning advanced choreography takes time and practice. Celebrate small victories along the way and don't give up.
- Have fun: Dancing should be enjoyable. Don't forget to have fun and express yourself through the choreography.
- Don't be afraid to make mistakes! Learning advanced choreography is a process and everyone makes mistakes along the way. The important thing is to keep trying and improving. Progress over perfection!
Remember to stay positive and keep pushing yourself, even when it feels challenging. With dedication and hard work, you will be learning advanced choreography in no time 🕺